Friday, January 14, 2005

Awaiting the evening train

So Friday night is the night when I can usually do nothing as I spend most of the evening waiting for Dr H on his weekly train trek from Berlin. It should now be a lot faster as the Deutsche Bahn now has high speed trains (3rd generation InterCity Expresses I think) which take only 1 1/2 hours from Berlin to Hamburg, as opposed to the 2 hours 10minutes that it was last year. But that of course depends on Dr H not working longer hours as a result.

Anyway, so I startedl ooking into this whole train thing a bit more (I mean, you try and come up with a new Google search criteria after a day of boredom at home). And after looking into some train enthusiasts webpages, I discovered that in the 1930s a train called the Flying Hamburger (and no, I´m not joking) could do the trip in 2 hours and 18 minutes. Interestingly, when I first started journeying by train in Germany, that trip took considerably longer.

I must say that I´m impressed. They were so far ahead of their time that it took 70 years for them to reach that standard again.

No comments: