Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Barbie on Steroids

just have a look at BootyBabes. Talk about extreme Barbie dolls.

In conjunction with this topic I thought I´d post this article:

International Journal of Eating Disorders. 1995 Nov;18(3):295-8.
Distorting reality for children: body size proportions of Barbie and Ken dolls.
Brownell KD, Napolitano MA.

Using hip measurements as a constant, calculations were made to determine the changes necessary for a young, healthy adult woman and man to attain the same body proportions as Barbie and Ken dolls, respectively. Among the changes necessary were for the female to increase 24 in. in height, 5 in. in the chest, and 3.2 in. in neck length, while decreasing 6 in. in the waist, and for the male to increase 20 in. in height, 11 in. in the chest, and 7.9 in. in neck circumference. Like adults, children are exposed to highly unrealistic ideals for shape and weight.

Now I´m not sure about how others feel about that but I feel that a 3.2 inch longer neck on me would look just slightly freaky, and should Dr H increase 7.9 inches in neck circumference his head would disappear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more!!! If I had as pointy boobies as Barbies on Steriods I would be doing some serious damage when pain is the furtherest thing from my mind!