Thursday, June 30, 2005

Flying away again

Tomorrow I'm off on another jaunt across the Atlantic, this time to Boston where I'm taking part in the GRC conference on "Drug Discovery in Tuberculosis". To try and make it a bit more exciting, my colleague DrS and I have 2 days before and one day after, in Boston itself. Current plans are to see a Red Sox game and pretend we go to Harvard (although this is probably only a kick for me as he's an Oxford boy and used to this big famous Uni thing whereas my 2 Uni's, like, weren't).
Also, as it is the 4th of July during the conference, they have nicely organised a boat trip on the harbour there to watch the fireworks. Unfortunately it's limited to 100 people and we have to sign up on the day of arrival, so we're polishing our elbows already.

In the meantime, DrH is using my 10 day absence as an excuse to trundle with dog and Bulli (aka Combi van, aka the cold uncomfortable heap of tin) down to his parents to rebuild the interior. Its been a decade long project with this car (I'm already trying to work out how much the cemetery plot will cost me when I HAVE TO BURY HIM IN IT). In the next 2 weeks he'll rebuild the kitchen to have more useful spaces, rebuild the chair/bed so I can actually lift the damn thing, remove the divider wall between the front and the back, get rid of the old seats and put in 2 new, covered in tan leather seats on turntables so we can extend the living space in the back and organise new placement for the toilet, the potential fridge and gas. Also he'll finally put an electricity socket in so that we can hook up to power in campsites and have heating.

And hopefully he'll have all of that done in time for us to hit the Campus Invasion concert in Giessen, and then we have a tentative plan to be at the HighField Festival in Erfurt in August!

No comments: