Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Just li´l ol´me, sitt´n alone in the darkness

In the toilets here we have motion detectors which turn the light on when someone enters, thus saving electrictiy and the whole effort of flicking the light switch on when you enter. Since I started, the one in the girls toilet hasn´t worked, so we were forced to turn the light switch on anyway. And since this is a different type of switch, with a little toggly bit underneath which is difficult to find in the dark, this necessitated much more effort than a normal light switch would.

Yesterday, finally, the man came to fix it. So when I entered this morning, arm outstretched, fingers automatically searching for the little toggle, the light magically switched on. Great! It works! Modern technology at it´s best.

I entered the cubicle, removed the various layers of clothing necessary and made myself comfortable.

The light went out.

I was sitting in pitch blackness with my pants around my ankles and the toilet roll was empty.

The only thing I could think of was to try and get the light back on again. How else was I going to find that replacement toilet roll?

I kicked my shoe off and threw it under the door. Well actually, I tried to throw it under the door but had somehow misjudged the gap and the shoe rebounded in a random direction. I tried again with the other shoe, which this time did manage to go under the door, but somehow did not flip the sensor.

Reaching forward I could just turn the handle on the door, pulling it open towards me although for some unknown reason the sensor also failed to pick this movement up. So delicately balanced on the edge of the toilet, fingers gripping the handle of the door for support, I lent forward and waved my arm up and down.

Miracle of miracles, the light went on again.

There was the spare roll of paper, hidden behind the toilet. There was my right shoe in the middle of the bathroom floor. There was my left shoe, in the next cubicle, having somehow slid under the wall on it´s random flight. There was I, about to fall off the toilet.

I sat back. I closed the door again. I fished the toilet roll out and replaced it. I was ready.

The light went out.

6 comments:

kilowatthour said...

there's a bathroom here in the hospital that has a faulty sensor like that-- i can't count the number of times i've been sitting there in the dark, wildly flailing my arms about in an attempt to shed some light on the situation. it kind of makes me giggle.

Tom said...

hehe

Katt said...

Its a good thing you were there alone isnt it? lol. Or worse someone walked in at the same time as you triggered the sensors!

Katt

Megan said...

I was just thinking what Katt wrote: what if someone walked in when you were waving your arms around while your pants were stuck around your ankles. Classic. You made me laugh a lot!

Dr J. said...

Katt- I had exactly that fear when I did it!

Bugsy said...

oh that's hilarious. I am so glad it had a happy ending LOL. Maybe you should take a torch in with you next time.