Sunday, April 01, 2007

Okay USA, you may think you´re up there with Sanjaya but Germany whipped your arse YEARS ago

Just so you know, I stopped being involved in reality TV years ago. But how do you ignore the Sanjaya effect throughout the internet?

So now I will take a moment to introduce the non-German audience to Germany´s Sanjaya, a young man by the name of Daniel Kublbock who caused many schnitzel-eating citizens to battle vainly to hold onto their potato-heavy lunches.

As you are no doubt aware, the wonderful world of modern media ensures that there is no such thing as a unique TV show. The Office has been remade in at least 3 countries, Ugly Betty´s name was Lisa when it started here several years ago under the guise of Verliebt in Berlin and don´t get me started on that guessing game for grownups called Deal or No Deal. So American Idol also has it´s Australian Idol as well as it´s Norwegian (we all remember the Hobbit) and in Germany it´s called Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar (or "Germany Searches for the Superstar").

To cut a long rant short here we have some priceless Daniel Kublbock moments:

1. The original audition

2. Another Day in Paradise (truly, a must hear)

3. Unchained Melody (yep it gets better)

4. Satisfaction (I certainly can´t get no)


This guy made it to third place AND got a record deal. A year later he also brought out his autobiography, which, thrilling reading though I´m sure it is, I still haven´t gotten around to.

So just in case you were thinking Sanjaya is something special, even in a slit my own throat kind of way, I just wanted you to know that it´s a been there, done that and we REALLY don´t have to see it all again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats with the other videos?
born in bavaria live

koenig vom deutschland

tv show

pictures

new song coming soon
nice guy on cover

Dr J. said...

I didn´t want to overdo it, so I just focused on the DSDS/Idol songs.

And it´s amazing what makeup, soft lighting and careful pose can do. I should know.

Susan said...

Oh my.

Bill said...

Welcome back! Very glad to hear from you again.

Bill said...

Oh, sorry, I neglected to say:

Annie Lennox.

Makes everything better.