Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flickr censorship bollocks

Flickr has launched a German site. Yay! Cool! Germans can now have it in their own language! Happy Days!

However when they launched it, along with China, Korea and some other countries, they have included an inbuilt censorship. Normally Flickr allows you to chose a SafeSearch option...you don´t want to see nudity - not a problem, click it to moderate or high and you can look at photos of flowers and puppies with nary a breast to see. You want to see the nudity that´s there, you´re free to do so.

BUT the German version is being automatically censored and you can´t turn it off.

This is one of the oddest things I can imagine. Germany is one of the most liberal countries I know of. It is written into the constitution is that censorship is illegal. There is no legal reason that Flickr is doing this. Currently they are saying that they´re trying to resolve the issue, but I don´t get it. Just change the bit of coding which makes the SafeSearch permanently on. Easy. So what are they still going on about?

The idea that I, as a 31 yr old, am being told I am not allowed to view something is offensive and against my rights. I am pissed off. Flickr should be ashamed. And worse still, I can only imagine that more of this is going to happen in the future.

5 comments:

Susan said...

That's just weird.

DC said...

i was checking technorati for 'censoship' tag due to the fact that im running a psiphonode and other proxy servers that focuses on China..but Germany? this is the nth time i read this news but still i never imagine Germany will do such a thing though months ago i read an article that somehow bothered several German freedom loving citizens about a new or a proposed law that involves ISP logging or something like that thus somehow this is expected.

kilowatthour said...

very, very strange. and sad! i thought flickr was better than that.

Our man in Tokyo said...

Have a look at the Explore page on flickr right now...

http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/

dysamoria said...

they censored me, too. i was informed of having been reviewed as "safe," but apparently i embarrassed Michelle of flickr when i posted all the details to her thoughtless deletion of one of my photos and then she deleted my whole damned account. Please read the details at my blog:

http://dysamoria.com/blog/index.html