Wednesday, October 24, 2007

PING! me baby, one more time

Last night I overindulged on a few shandies while out with Paul and a bunch of other recent expat additions to my life. I was exceedingly proud to note that us older members of the group had the most staying power; outlasting, outdrinking and outtalking the rest. Of course that may indicate more our desire to listen to our own voices- in all our advanced-age wisdom - than any real superiority in endurance. You know how old people get.

Well, yes, that was back when I was squatting in a flat....oh, I´ve got something SOOO interesting to say about virtual sex....did I mention I rode on the backs of sheep when I was a kid....listen up, cause my opinion is just going to blow you away....

I´m surprised they didn´t ask me politely to leave. Actually, I´m surprised they didn´t hold me down, hog tie me and gaffa tape my mouth closed to get me to shut up.

So the evening ended with Paul and I being kicked out at 1.30am and finding the U-bahn was locked. By the time the taxi dropped me home I had a pounding headache and my sleep last night was broken and disturbed. Of course I blamed the shandy for that. Nothing like hitting the hard stuff before bed to ruin a good night´s sleep.

But I was walking passed the bedroom before when my ear caught a tiny PING!. A sound exactly like the one Yahoo Messenger makes when I get a new message. I automatically entered the bedroom to check who was writing to me before realising I have no computer there. It was a stray PING!. A dislocated PING!. A PING! where no PING! belonged.

Mulling it over I realised that I kept waking up throughout the night with a feeling of disturbed expectation. Could this be the cause? Had I unconsciously woken up to answer the lost PING! of a non-existent message? Has the internet trained me so well to be at the beck and call of every chatty whim of my contacts that my brain will happily break it´s REM cycle for to do so? Is it perhaps time to wean myself from it´s tempting window of smiley faces and incorrect spelling?

Maybe. Maybe it´s time to let go. Close Skype, messenger, facebook. Get outside a bit more. But I shouldn´t make such a big decision too hastily. I think I´ll sleep on it.

3 comments:

Paul B. said...

Has your local Stasi rep been by lately?

Or maybe you bought a submarine sonar and left it switched on by mistake.

Sonar is cool but you honestly don't need it on all night.

And like umm why is your WP blog a post behind this one..?

romi_moondi said...

Hey Dr. J,

I found your blog via Paul B.'s comments, and I really liked this post :-) .

I find myself COMPLETELY relating to this issue, as I'm very seldom "unhooked" from the "interweb", LOL...the only difference being: I myself am very unfamiliar with this "pinging" sound...so you're saying that you should hear this "pinging" sound when you're on Facebook and Messenger? That's funny, I've never heard it myself...hmmm...maybe that's a seperate issue, for which I need seperate attention/therapy...

..In the meantime, I'll blogroll you now (if you don't mind), 'cause I like what you're saying over here :-)

Dr. J said...

Paul: The salesman didn´t warn me the damn thing wouldn´t stop PING!ing. How was I to know they had invaded the plumbing system?

Hi Romi, glad you like the place. in Messenger whenever someone sends a new message it pops up in it´s own window with a noise. It might be you have those settings switched off. I keep them switched on so that I´ll always be distracted any time I´m tempted to work.