Tuesday, October 16, 2007

using your anger

Just before I went on holidays I got embroiled in a forum debate on religion. Actually, more on evolution. It´s an argument I know is pointless when you´re up against a hardline believer, but damned if I can put it down once it´s started. This guy was also arrogant enough to try and take me on biology and, although I´m no longer an actively researching scientist, I still have over a decade of education behind me on that subject and the know-how and tools to discover and analyse the current state of whatever field you wish me to discuss.

A couple of people told me not to bother. I know why. I see I´ll never change this particular person´s mind. Hopefully though someone not so gung-ho will listen, think and learn rather than flatly, thoughtlessly deny. I live with the view that education is better than no education and that learning to see the world is better than keeping yourself blinkered. Call me naive.

So I keep getting involved in these discussions and usually manage to stay rather polite. Kinda tough, because it generally makes my blood boil. Friends and family know how livid I can get when certain topics (religion, women´s rights, Australian immigration and US politics are usually a good place to start) are reached, and usually tell me to calm down.

Today Greta Christina posted about anger and atheism, about why calming down and losing your anger is NOT a good thing. I agree with her. I´m keeping my anger. Maybe with it I can help change the world, even if only a little bit.

2 comments:

vailian said...

that is the thing about religion, it defies logic because it is above logic. Once you realize that someone is basing his arguments on religion, you can give up on trying to change his mind. (Or her mind, as the case may be!)
It is like love, which also defies logic.

Stevie P. said...

Jac, I couldn't agree with you more. I have a quote from comedian Bill Hicks and it goes like this:
"Fundamentalist Christianity - fascinating. These people actually believe that the the world is 12,000 years old. Swear to God. Based on what? I asked them.
"Well we looked at all the people in the Bible and we added 'em up all the way back to Adam and Eve, their ages: 12,000 years."
Well how f***** scientific, okay. I didn't know that you'd gone to so much trouble. That's good. You believe the world's 12,000 years old?
"That's right."
Okay, I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready?
"Uh-huh."
Dinosaurs.
You know the world is 12,000 years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the f****** Bible at some point.
"And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus... with a splinter in his paw. And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big f****** lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend."

Churchy nutbags. Sheesh