Thursday, November 29, 2007

drowning

Have you ever tried to keep Lists Of Things To Do?

Currently, the three major projects going on in my life have extended and complex lists, which probably need to be defined in multiple dimensions, preferrably one of which is time and has the ability to go backwards. These lists have become so large and complex that they've developed their own culture and language. I caught one of them last night inventing fire and I believe it's neighbour, in a fit of "Keeping Up With The Joneses" was working well into the wee hours on the wheel. Judging by some of the things I find on my generic list of household/banking/normal living duties, I'm pretty sure they've zipped straight past discovering the concept of zero and dived right into double entry bookkeeping.

Their sublists are now multi-generational and breeding faster than recently imported rabbits. I'm worried that a mafia-style family business is developing in one of the branches and starting a protection racket on the rest. That's just what I need, to turn up in the morning and find that today's banking tasks were kneecapped for not paying up to the "picking up the drycleaning".

These have gone beyond where I can handle them and so I find myself again in the middle of the night, still sick, and still completely unable to sleep with the weight of all my unfinished business. Somehow tackling them one at a time never seems to get anything done at all.

Maybe I should just leave them all here and run off to Tahiti before they get as far as developing WMD's.

No comments: