Tuesday, November 13, 2007

the last dragon dies



This is Dragon. My brothers dog. This is also me a few years ago with long hair. Best guess is a Mastiff/Rhodesian Ridgeback cross. For the dog that is, not me. Or my hair. The loveliest, gentlest giant you've ever met to all creatures except chickens. Everyone who has ever met him feels that he belonged afterwards in some way to their own family. That kinda dog.

He had an eight kilo tumour removed from his stomach a few months ago and today my brother had to make the final decision to have him put down.

He was such a beautiful dog. Dragons do bring a bit of magic into the world.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss.

Megan said...

It's always so sad to let go of a loving dog. Glad you all had years of enjoyment with him.

Ben said...

That sucks. I remember when we put my dog down... just old age. It got to the point where he was suffering so much... we'd take him for walks only to get home and see the tops of his paws were bleeding because the arthritis was so bad he wasn't lifting his legs enough, instead almost dragging them.

The vet made a house call. That whole day, Max knew something was up. He was quiet, and cuddly. He just knew.

Dogs do bring magic to this world, you're right.

Sorry for the downer.

Sorry for your loss.