Wednesday, January 02, 2008

bum on seat, hands on keyboard

I realised only fairly recently that I'd been going about this whole writing thing entirely the wrong way. I'd always thought you needed to be inspired, ideas searing white hot across your brain so that you could do nothing but sit down and write. Let the words flow like lava from your pen - burning, consuming, unstoppable.

It really has only been in the last 6 months that I've recognised that writing, if you want to do it seriously at least, is not like that. Or only rarely. Normally it seems it is a battle with your own brain. Dragging words out and putting them down. Fighting your own conscious which is saying "This Sucks!" in the arrogant whine of a fourteen year old.

It means getting up every day and writing and writing and writing no matter what you feel like, what your mood is, whether the muse is whispering in your ear. Or not.

So to encourage myself to do it more I have decided to blog my prgoress on a novel I've started. And by started I mean REALLY ONLY JUST STARTED. If you were trying to relax with my current manuscript you'd have barely had time to make yourself comfortable on the toilet seat before the words ran out.

But to save all of you normal blog readers from the tedium of my daily word counts, I'm going to use my LiveJournal account to do it. This has the added bonus that I have joined some LJ communities, including one called Novel in 90. This calls for members to write at least 750 words a day for three months. Resulting in 67500 words after ninety days. And if you do not reach your daily recommended dose you shall be mocked.

Yesterday I was mocked. I shan't be tonight.

But for anyone who wishes to follow my writing progress, feel free to add my LiveJournal to your blogroll, or to pop over there now and again. I can't promise it will be overly interesting, but then again, I can't promise that about this blog either.

Except for the eyebrows of course.

1 comment:

Romi said...

I'll be following your progress, and I know you'll have a lot of it, because mocking-avoidance is the best motivation there is ;-)