Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I don't know... is it something you're likely to say?

It was late last night when we landed back in Berlin. Oh, did I forget to mention that? We spent the last four days in the UK, going to a christening and visiting DrH's cousin in Telford. Which of course had me reciting Not from Telford after all but from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese over and over in my head at every intersection and signpost. And if you know that reference then feel proud because your geek is AT LEAST as big as mine and certainly large enough to warrant wearing a t-shirt with a hilarious mathematics in-joke on it.

Anyway, it was 11pm and we were off to pick up the dog; cruising the Bulli through the tunnel and feeling very chipper, probably because we were back home in a country with water pressure. I can't remember which one of us started it but we began a series of loud duets. A bit of Can't Buy Me Love, segueing into DrH's all-time-favourite Offspring song and me trying to trump him with The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Because I haven't sung it since 1982, and it needed to be let out for a bit of airing again.

So we were idling at a traffic light singing loudly, scaring pedestrians and the guy in the Renault next to us with our atonal crooning. I turned to DrH and said "When we have kids we are SO going to be doing this with them in the backseat with their girlfriend." And DrH got this evil little grin and, in a voice full of expectation and promise, said "Yeah".

5 comments:

G in Berlin said...

My inner geek says 42. Is it correct?

Dr. J said...

Well done! Stand proud in geeky glory.

G in Berlin said...

On th subject of geeky, and if you won't panic, have you checked out www.orbital2008.org ?

I'll be bringing my German with me.

Dr. J said...

Well thank you, because now I am panicking and thinking... OH. MY. GOD. Like... Gaimen and Stross and Lee and, and, and... I'm not going and now I shall sit in a corner and sob for a little while, if you don't mind.

G in Berlin said...

You could always come- flights ae awfully cheap...