Thursday, March 27, 2008

not sure if it was the best decision ever or the start of a spiral into insanity

We dumped our TV.

Okay, so we didn't dump it, we loaned it to SuperCoolMatti for an unspecified amount of time. Probably around a month, because I'm really not sure I'm going to survive this.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I tend to take my lunchbreaks in front of TV just because it's there, and resisting the siren call of daytime television is well beyond my puny self discipline powers. So I lose 30 minutes to an hour a day sucking down any amount of ridiculous rubbish and can slowly feel my brain dissolving. Evenings aren't terribly much better and I think I've absorbed all the possible crime storylines I can without starting to develop a serial killer presonality of my own.

So that was it, we decided. The television must go. And so we drove it across Berlin and lugged it up five stories, then put a big armchair in it's place with a pile of books ready next to it.

Last night we had dinner on the dining table and had a conversation - an novel experience. Apparently I married a kinda interesting guy. Who would've thought it? After working for a while, we then pulled out a board game and played a few rounds. Won one, lost one, but that doesn't really matter because we can play it as often as we want now.

But the question remains: will our marriage survive this much contact?

11 comments:

G in Berlin said...

Saw your comment on Scalzi and thought I'd say hi here. Btw, my husband is blowing off Denver Worldcon, so I have a ticket to sell...(some weirdness about preferring to use his vacation to vacation here in Europe... but I'm still going and the in-laws are taking care of the kids).

Susan said...

Bravo! I don't think my husband would go for this.

Paul B. said...

You took the TV away? That is grounds for divorce right there...

If my wife EVER tried that I would.... wait a minute.... I am not married *phew* that was a close call.

Dr. J said...

*I* didn't take the TV away *WE* took the TV away. And I'm the one most likely to suffer the most from it's loss. DrH was quite happy to give this experiment a shot.

G: still waiting to read the rundown of Orbital. Did you slobber all over Gaiman for me?

G in Berlin said...

I did not slobber over Gaiman, but he is delicious looking and his voice is yummy. Very nice to all his fans. Stross, however, was sharp as a whip and extremely funny with it.

Romi said...

YOU DON'T HAVE THE TV ANYMORE???...this is a brave experiment on your part; it's like you and Dr. H are part of a group of sea explorers, and you find this darkened abyss and nobody knows what lies in there, and none of your "underwater flashlights" are working, but then you and Dr. H say: "you guys hang back, we'll check it out first to make sure it's safe"...wow...good luck with that; I hope you make it out alive with a story to tell ;-)

vailian said...

I banned the TV a few years ago to the attic from the living room; it meant that I no longer had to clear up the food remains and beer bottles and whatever every morning that my boys and their friends had courteously left for me.
This has worked out fine... but I DO have a TV card for my laptop which I can use if I am desperate.
My Ossie girlfriend hates TV with a passion, and naturally won't have one in her flat. So when I am there we have conversations!
But she doesn't like computers either. I think if she were to take away my computer I would die.

Gardner said...

A leap of faith. I think it is a bold move.

Dr. J said...

it#s working so far, but we have been breaking even on Zug Um Zug (our current favourite board game). I think if he starts breaking ahead we'll have to bring it back. Or look for the next Spiel des Jahres (and if you don#t know what that is, look up Wikipedia).

Dr. J said...

boy I wish my shift key would work properly and stop leaving # everywhere.

CH said...

We've been TV-free for a few years but we BitTorrent certain shows and watch them on our laptop. It's a good balance. No advertisements and no I'll-just-watch-what's-on sponginess.