Saturday, May 10, 2008

some things should not be done to the humble rhubarb

The last couple of weeks have sunk under the weight of multiple visitors. Its been lots of fun, and great to have touches of home after a year of being absent from Downunder. I even recieved the gift of Vegemite, powerful indeed in the hands of a knowledgeable Aussie.

Our most recent guest was Permanent HoliDave, again on the continent and resting up between gigs. I haven't seen the professional tourist since this time last year and its amazing how much time can pass while feeling that none has passed at all.

In deference to HoliDave's beaten up liver we spared him the worst of drinking excesses, but couldn't turn down the chance of partaking in Werder's fruit wine festival. If you've been watching my PlanetEye blog you would have seen a passing mention of this alcoholic event.



True to all I'd heard, Werder was full of fruit wine and intoxicated youth. Vats were filled with the stuff, bottles sold hand over fist and vast amounts of punch were available. I took home a bottle of quince wine and between us we had gooseberry, apple, raspberry, rhubarb and blueberry.



Today is HoliDave's birthday, which we'd originally planned to spend together at a giant water park inside an airship hangar, but as the man in question is currently standing at the front of a bus on its way to Madrid and discovering that the rain in Spain DOES fall mainly on the plain, we've had to postpone it.



So happy birthday HoliDave. There's an inappropriately large indoor island resort waiting for you and your speedos when you return.

1 comment:

G in Berlin said...

That looks so cool, I wish I had known about it in time to go. And I'm setting a reminder to myself mid-April next year so that I do remember that I want to go.