Friday, July 25, 2008

Obamarama

Yes I was there. In fact, if you follow my Twitter feed you would have been able to get hourly updates on the "getting through security" saga, an ordeal which took well over an hour in the blazing sun while I got to know my nieghbours rather intimately in the crush. Then, when we finally got through to the man who had to inspect everything we had on us, SuperCoolMatti was prevented from bringing in a 3cm padlock on the argument that it was a weapon, while I was allowed through with a 25cm 500mm lens weighing about 3 kg.

All I ever ask in security checks is a bit of practical and logical thinking, and what do I never get?

We managed to get into the "inner circle", meaning we were on a level with the journalists stand and just to their left. Just before he appeared we had some excitement with a spectator having a medical problem, and it was heartwarming to see the crowd work together so well to get help there. A few doctors in the crowd made it through first, and SuperCoolMatti came up with the brilliant idea that if you're a doctor or first aid person, you should be able to make yourself known at security and be given a first aid pack. This would ensure that there is extra medical aid sprinkled all through the crowd.

How's that for thinking?

Anyway, the speech itself was... alright. It was a lot full of little and although I can imagine that if it was a 100% American crowd it would've gotten a HUGE response, here it got a decent response. It could've been bigger and better than it was, so I felt vaguely let down by it.

In the end I was MORE moved to cut any tall person off at the knees and make deoderant an absolute requirement for any crowd member, than I was to get excited about the American election or what this guy would do for his country and ours. Naja.

2 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Yeah, but isn't he SO MUCH BETTER than who we have now??? And the alternative for next election? I so, so, so hope he wins. If he doesn't, I will be devastated.

Still, it's really strange to me that US candidates campaign in other countries. I'm glad he did it and I'm glad Europe seems to like him because it's embarassing how the US is currently viewed internationally. But still, it's funny that Obama drew a bigger crowd in Berlin than anywhere in the US.

Dr. J said...

It was definately a huge crowd - generally Germans are politically aware folk, far more so than Australians generally for example. So an event like this is certainly interesting to a population that has despaired of previous US administrations. And face it, whatever the US decides DOES impact the rest of us, so we DO get interested in it.

But also don't underestimate the proportion of American's that were there. Well over half of the people around me were English speakers, not Germans.