Wednesday, January 21, 2009

OMG! Like, Totally!!

I was once a teenage girl. Ok, that's probably not much of a shock to anyone who thought through the situation properly, but I REALLY only realised it about thirty minutes ago. Because that's when I sat down and started reading the notes the girls in my class wrote to each other in high school.

This afternoon I started clearing out the boxes of my previous life that my mother has been carting around for the last decade and out popped the notes. I knew they were in there - every night in highschool I'd empty my school uniform pockets of notes and shove them all into one of two containers on my chest of drawers. Those containers were thrown intact into storage, complete with years of in-fighting, declarations of Best Friends Forever and "I so TOTALLY don't like him! You so TOTALLY do!"

Man, there's some scary stuff in there and the scariest thing is that I still do remember how heartbreaking it was to have my bff go and sit next to someone else in class or not talk to me for all of twenty minutes. The world revolved around this tiny classroom and the complex inter-relationships of the combatants. Reading these notes is like watching the Bold and the Beautiful- only without all the steamy sex scenes. At this stage we found just brushing the arm of a guy you liked waaaayyy more intensely sexual than anything we'd ever experienced before.

A couple of the notes I did find amazingly cute, including a list of tapes a friend had that I could copy. I give you... 1989

Dirty Dancing Soundtrack
Transvision Vamp - Velveteen
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Roxette - Look Sharp
Bananarama's Greatest Hits
James Reyne - Hard Reyne
Daryl Braithwaite - Edge


Additionally I have a note which references two people that I can't for the life of me place. It's from Sally, who'd apparently never met me but feels like we were friends, and she had a message for Chris. There's this guy in Japan she's got a thing with, so she's not into you.

Sorry, dude.

No comments: