Friday, March 20, 2009

board games

Almost a year ago I announced to you all that we had gotten rid of our TV. While I'd love to say we were TV-free for a year it's not entirely the case. We had the TV thrown back at us just before the Olympics, so I kept it for that, and then we had housesitters through September, so we left it here for them. We only got rid of it again in October and by December I was in Australia and held fast by horrible summer programming.

Now I'm back, we have no TV and life is settling in again. Board games have become a main staple of our life and ove the last year I've purchased quite a number. We got PermanentHoliDave so addicted to Zug um Zug (Ticket to Ride in English, though with the European board of course) that he hunted it down back in Australia and tried to convert everyone. He and I spent an entire day playing game after game and the tragic outcome was that he won more times than I did.

Here, playing against DrH, I can be assured of winning at least seven times out of ten. Siedler of Catan, Carcassonne, Metro, Alhambra... I am the board game QUEEN in my house. DrH wins enough that he is willing to keep playing, but generally I am the victor. Until this week when I bought Thurn and Taxis.

In building mail routes across 19th century German States, it seems that DrH has found his calling. He's gotten this one, worked out the strategies and when so armed he's...well, he's kicking my arse.

So tonight I think I'll pull out Carcasonne again and this time I WILL be using those attacking towers.

3 comments:

Katia said...

We LOVE carcassone ;) You're giving me ideas for more games now!

Dr. J said...

If you like they style of game, check out the winners of Spiel des Jahres (Game of The Year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiel_des_Jahres). Most are similar (Keltis isn't though, and I heard Niagara sucks). I'm slowly collecting them all.

Hmm, maybe I should turn this into a board game critiquing blog, I'm certainly playing enough of them....

Dr. J said...

umm, I meant THAT style of game.