Sunday, September 05, 2010

Roll 'em


I think I may have done something stupid. At least, stupider than the normal things I do. Which makes it pretty goddamn stupid.

I signed up for a beginners course in Roller Derby.

I'd you're not familiar with this trend sport, it's basically chicks on roller skates beating each other up. At least that what it looks like the first time you go and see a bout.

Today I got onto skates for the first time in twenty years. I didn't embarrass myself too much, but I certainly no longer possess the nimbleness of youth. Or the basic fitness. Or endurance. Or flexible bones.

Nicely enough, the Bear City Rollers put a lot of emphasis into both skills training and fitness and so we did a lot of very deliberate falling today. Knees, hips, elbows, we landed on them all and I'm going to have one monster arse bruise from a fall I totally fucked up.

Three hours of training and every single muscle hurts. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to move tomorrow, but I'm planning on being on skates again on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Susan said...

You.Rawk.

pjmel said...

Fun! What is the German term for "fresh meat"?

I am somewhat unwillingly fluent in Derby tongue, ("gina shiner", anyone?) thanks to my sis being almost evangelistic about it for the last few years. I am in awe of anyone brave enough to take it on ... me too wussy!

Have you chosen a name yet?